Tuesday, February 17, 2009

My Apologies, Harriman: February 17, 2009


Look Harriman, I'm sorry. I realize I've been dismissive in the past, seeking higher climes when you were looking the other way, more contour lines, steeper cols and broader vistas. Frankly put our relationship isn't where it should be and I am owning up to my part in this equation. After the time you showed me this past weekend how could I not? You may be in the shadow of the Shawangunks and the Catskills, but you too contain multitudes. Thank you, and after this St. Valentine's day I must reaffirm it: I love you.

Okay, I was introduced to a little bit of magic in Harriman State Park on President's Day. The Lichen trail off the Long Path crosses a section of the park that was the site of a devastating fire, leaving a broad ridge of exposed granite and eerie remnants of destruction. It's a Canal Street experience of being above treeline, as you can see from Google's privacy-shattering super spy satellites (this might be a clever way to choose hiking destinations - not all tree huggers actually like to be around trees).

Let's just hope you still love me when I attempt your 26 mile Suffern-Bear Mountain traverse.

No comments:

Post a Comment